1. India Blue trounces India Red to win Duleep Trophy
- India Blue thrashed defending champion India Red by an innings and 187 runs in the final Friday to win the Duleep Trophy at NPR College ground here
- Himachal Pradesh batsman Nikhil Gangta was named man of the match for his superb knock of 130.
- Swapnil had a pretty good match as he scored 69 in India Blue’s only innings apart from the five-wicket haul.
2. RBI notifies amended note refund rules
- The Central Board of the Reserve Bank of India (RBI) with the previous sanction of the Centre has notified the amendments to the Reserve Bank of India (Note Refund) Rules, 2009, on September 5
- Samir Ghosh, General Secretary of All India Reserve Bank Employees Association, has requested the RBI to advise the Department of Currency Management to instruct all its offices and designated branches of banks for quick adjudication and payment of mutilated notes lying with the public, who also may be notified.
- Urjit Patel- 24th Governor of RBI, Headquarters- Mumbai, Established on- 1st April 1935, in Kolkata.
- According to the amendments notified, the value of a mutilated note of less than Rs 50 (rupees fifty) denomination may be refunded in full if the undivided area of the single largest piece of the note is as specified in column (5) of table 1 below
Source- The Hindu Business Line
3. India, France sign pact to cut GHG emissions in urban transport
- India and France have signed an implementation agreement on “Mobilise Your City” (MYC) in the presence of Minister of State (Independent Charge), Ministry of Housing and Urban Affairs (MoHUA) Hardeep Singh Puri and Alexander Ziegler, Ambassador of France in India.
- The agreement was signed by Mukund Kumar Sinha, OSD and Ex-Officio Joint Secretary, Ministry of Housing and Urban Affairs for India, while Regional Director, Agence Française de Developpement (AfD), Nicolas Fornage, signed the agreement on behalf of AfD.
- the European Union has agreed to provide funds of Euro 3.5 million through the AFD to contribute to specific investments and technical assistance components within the Mobilise Your City (MYC) programme in India.
- The MYC will support three pilot cities — Nagpur, Kochi and Ahmedabad — in their efforts to reduce their Green House Gas (GHG) emissions related to urban transport by implementing urban mobility plans at the local level and to help India at a national level to improve their sustainable transport policy.
- France Capital: Paris, Currency: Euro, CFP franc, President: Emmanuel Macron.
Source- Business Standard
4. Aishwarya Rai gets Meryl Streep Award for Excellence
- Aishwarya Rai Bachchan has been honoured at the Women in Film and Television (WIFT) India Awards here.
- The 44-year-old actor was felicitated with the Meryl Streep Award for Excellence, which has been established to honour the best female talent in Bollywood and Hollywood.
Source – Economic Times
5. Triple jumper Arpinder becomes first Indian to win medal in IAAF Continental Cup
- Arpinder Singh clinched a bronze medal with a modest effort of 16.59m
- He was representing the Asia-Pacific team in the meet, held once every four years
- The 25-year-old Arpinder had won a gold in the Asian Games in Jakarta
- No Indian has ever won a medal in the Continental Cup which was known as the IAAF World Cup before 2010. Two top athletes from the four regions of Europe, Americas, Africa and Asia-Pacific were taking part in each of the 36 events in men and women sections taken together.
- Czech Republic Capital: Prague, Currency: Czech koruna
Source-Times of India
6. Alibaba’s Jack Ma to step down in September 2019
- Jack Ma, the executive chairman of Chinese e-commerce giant Alibaba, has said he plans to step down in a year.
- Mr Ma, one of China’s richest men, will hand over the reins to Daniel Zhang, currently chief executive
- Alibaba is one of the world’s most valuable companies – its shares nearly doubled in value last year
Source- BBC news
7. US Open 2018: Novak Djokovic beats Juan Martin del Potro to win title
- Novak Djokovic has won back-to-back Grand Slam titles for the first time since June 2016
- Novak Djokovic produced an impeccable performance to beat Juan Martin del Potro in the US Open final and win his 14th Grand Slam title.
- Djokovic overtakes Federer as highest on-court earner
- After the controversy surrounding Serena Williams’ defeat by Naomi Osaka in Saturday’s women’s final, a high-quality match between two of the top male players ensured tennis was once again the talking point
- Novak Djokovic’s 14 Grand Slam titles
Australian Open 2008, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2015, 2016
French Open 2016
Wimbledon 2011, 2014, 2015, 2018
US Open 2011, 2015, 2018
Source- BBC news
1. Indian Railways needs to increase earnings and reduce expenditure, says Union Minister Manoj Sinha
- Union Minister Manoj Sinha in a conference on E-mobility said that the Indian Railways needs to increase their earnings and moreover use its resources to produce solar energy and reduce their expenditure.
- The Minister of State for Railways said in 2017-18, railways electrified 4,000 km route and in 2018-19 it targets to electrify 6,000 km route
- Niti Aayog CEO Amitabh Kant said battery storage will be the key driver of e-mobility.
- Railway Board Chairman Ashwani Lohani said the government is looking at creating fast speed corridors.
-Times now news
2. Govt clears over 36% hike in artisan wages
- The MSME Ministry has approved a proposal by the Khadi and Village Industries Commission (KVIC) to increase the wages of artisans by over 36 per cent, from Rs 5.50 per hank previously to Rs 7.50 per hank.
- The wage incentives are paid by KVIC directly to the accounts of the artisans through direct benefit transfer.
- an artisan spinning a minimum of 20 hanks in a day will now start earning Rs 202 per day, including his wages and government incentive — after this increase. It may be noted that, most of the artisans spin more than 20 hanks per day currently.
- KVIC Chairman – V K Saxena
- MSME – Micro small medium enterprises
- MSME Minister-Giriraj Singh(independent charge)
-The Hindu business line
3. Suresh Prabhu Launches Technology Initiatives For Coffee Stakeholders
- Commerce and Industry Minister Suresh Prabhu Tuesday launched two mobile apps for coffee sector which would help farmers increase production and improve quality.
- Coffee is cultivated in India in about 4.54 lakh hectares by 3.66 lakh coffee farmers. Its cultivation is mainly confined to Karnataka (54 per cent), Kerala (19 per cent) and Tamil Nadu (8 per cent).
- It is also grown in non-traditional areas like Andhra Pradesh and Odisha (17.2 per cent) and North Eastern states (1.8 per cent).
- two apps are India coffee field force app and Coffee KrishiTharanga – digital mobile extension services for coffee stakeholders.
- M.S. Boje Gowda is the present chairman of Coffee Board of India.
- It headquarters in Bengaluru, Karnataka.
-The Hindu business line
4. International Women Entrepreneurs Summit gets underway in Nepal
- The International Women Entrepreneurs Summit 2018 is being held in Kathmandu, Nepal
- Vice President of Nepal Nanda Bahadur Pun inaugurated In his address, Pun emphasized upon empowering women in all areas including social, political and economic.
- The theme of 3-day event is “Equality begins with Economic Empowerment
- The event is organised by the South Asian Women Development Forum.
- Prime Minister of Nepal – Khadga Prasad Sharma Oli
- President of Nepal and commander -Bidhya Devi Bhandari
- currency of Nepal – Nepalese Rupee
5. Indo-Kazakhstan Joint Exercise ‘KAZIND 2018’ To Be Held in Kazakhstan
- Indo-Kazakhstan Joint Army Exercise ‘KAZIND’ will be conducted between the Indian and Kazakhstan Army from 10 to 23 Sep 2018 in Otar region kazakhstan.
- It is the third joined milatry exercise between two countries cooperative on defence area
- The Second edition exercised it was conducted in india
- The aim of the exercise is to build and promote bilateral Army to Army relations and exchange skills and experiences between Kazakhstan Army and the Indian Army.
- The conduct of the joint exercise will set the stage for greater defence cooperation and consequently will manifest in stronger ties between the two great nations.
- Kazakhstan Capital: Astana.
- Currency: Kazakhstani tenge.
-Press Information Bureau
6. Pakistan new President Arif Alvi is son of Nehru’s dentist
- Dr Arif Alvi has been elected as the President of Pakistan. His father was Pandit Jawaharlal Nehru’s dentist in pre-Partition India.
- His father was the dentist of Jawaharlal Nehru before 1947
- His family still has letters written by Nehru in possession
- Elected as the 13th president of Pakistan, Dr Arif Alvi is the third President of Pakistan with ancestral base in India.
- Before being elected as the President of Pakistan, Dr Arif Alvi won two parliamentary elections in Pakistan – becoming the Member of National Assembly from NA 250-Karachi in 2013 and 2018 as a PTI candidate.
- Pakistan Tehreek-i-Insaf (PTI)
- Pakistan capital – Islamabad
- Prime Minister – Imran Khan
- Currency – Pakistani Rupee
7. HDFC ERGO makes Cyber Insurance Personal with the launch of E@Secure
- HDFC ERGO, India’s third-largest non-life insurance provider in the private sector, today announced the launch of ‘E@Secure’, a Cyber Insurance Policy for individuals.
- India is the second largest online market, with a huge potential for exponential growth.
- This policy aims at providing comprehensive protection to individuals and their families against any cyber-attacks, cyber frauds or digital threats that could lead to a financial loss and or reputational loss.
- According to the National Crime Records Bureau (NCRB) report 2016, there has been an increase in the incidence of Cyber Crimes by 6.3 per cent in 2016 (12,317) over 2015 (11,592).
- Ritesh Kumar, MD & CEO, HDFC ERGO General Insurance
- It headquarters in Mumbai.
8. Sanctioned Rs 335 Crore to West Bengal in August: NABARD
- National Bank for Agriculture and Rural Development has sanctioned an amount of Rs 335 crore under the Rural Infrastructure Development Fund (RIDF) to West Bengal.
- The funds alloted it might be used for 158 minor irrigation projects and 23 flood protection projects,
- The minor irrigation projects are expected to benefit 20,506 hectares, covering 3.09 lakh population in 699 villages of 22 districts, while the flood protection projects would address the problem of rapid bank erosion caused by rivers.
- The implementation of 23 flood protection projects would save around 5,080 hectares of fertile agricultural and home stead lands of farmers of 64 villages, which are under the area of erosion
- NABARD Chairman- Harsh Kumar Bhanwala.
- Headquarters- Mumbai, Established on- 12 July 1982
9. Puducherry CM V. Narayanasamy has announced a prize of ₹1 lakh to the school
- Chief Minister V. Narayanasamy on Tuesday announced ₹1 lakh award for the Government Primary School, Kunichampet, in appreciation of the school bagging the top rank at the national-level in implementation of the Swachh Vidyalaya initiative.
- The Swachh Bharat Swachh Vidyalaya initiative was launched in 2014 by the Union Government to ensure that all schools in India provide access to separate toilets for boys and girls.
- The Union Government had selected 52 schools across the country for the honour. This included seven schools in Puducherry and Karaikal regions.
- Union Minister of Human Resource Development Prakash Javedhkar will hand over ₹50,000 in cash and a certificate to the headmistress and a student ambassador of the school at a function to be held in Delhi
- The Department of School Education nominated the 20 schools based on the number of toilets constructed, provision of running water and maintenance of hygiene, supply of drinking water, greenery and wash programmes. A team from the Ministry of Human Resources Development (MHRD) made a surprise visit and selected the school for the award.
1.PM to inaugurate first Global Mobility Summit tomorrow
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi will inaugurate MOVE: India’s ever first Global Mobility Summit organized by NITI Aayog at Vigyan Bhawan in New Delhi on September 7 and 8.
- The focus of the summit will be on raising awareness about various aspects of Mobility and bringing together various stakeholders involved in enhancing mobility across different platforms.
- The Global Mobility Summit is the first of its kind, with over 2200 participants expected from across the world including leaders from the government, industry, research organizations, academia, think tanks and civil society.
- Secretaries from the Ministry of Road Transport and Highways, Ministry of Power, Ministry of Electronics and Information Technology, and representatives from the Department of Heavy Industries also present.
- NITI Aayog Vice Chairman- Rajiv Kumar
- Chief Executive Officer- Amitabh Kant
2. Saurabh Chaudhary shoots down junior record for gold at ISSF World Championships
- Saurabh shot a score of 245.5 at the ISSF World Championship in Changwon on Thursday to break his own 10m air pistol world record
- India’s Arjun Singh Cheema claimed bronze in the same event
- Saurabh had last month won 10m air pistol gold on his Asian Games debut
- International Shooting Sport Federation (ISSF)
Source-Times of India
3. ‘Source India’ at 87th Izmir International tradeshow in Turkey
- India is the Partner Country in the 87th Izmir International tradeshow which begins in Turkey from Friday, September 7, 2018.
- This tradeshow India will also be launching a mega business pavilion ‘Source India’ hosting 75 Indian companies with the aim of tie-ups in order to increase India’s exports to Turkey and other neighbouring countries.
- This is part of a series of Source India pavilions that the Trade Promotion Council of India (TPCI) is hosting in important tradeshows across the world for boosting India’s exports
- TPCI is the trade and investment promotion organization of the Department of Commerce, Ministry of Commerce &Industry, Government of India, and works to open new areas for co-operation in trade and investment between India and rest of the world.
- India’s Ambassador to Ankara, Sanjay Bhattacharyya, hassaid that there is great potential for tie-ups between Indian and Turkish agriculture and food processing sectors
- Source India, with 75 Indian participating companies, is a multi-product pavilion though some of the key potential areas for increasing trade with Turkey are ceramics, cereals and machinery or mechanical appliances.
Source – Press Information Bureau
4. Monetary limit for filing cases in DRT doubled to Rs 20 lakh
- The government Thursday doubled the pecuniary limit to Rs 20 lakh for filing loan recovery application in the Debt Recovery Tribunals (DRT) by banks and financial institutions.
- There are 39 DRTs in the country. The Central government has raised “the pecuniary limit from Rs 10 lakh to Rs 20 lakh for filing application for recovery of debts in the Debts Recovery Tribunals by such banks and financial institutions,” said a Finance Ministry notification.
- As per RBI data on global operations (with provisional data as on March 2018), aggregate amount of Rs 3,98,671 crore was written-off by banks over the last four financial years. Over the same period, their NPAs reduced by Rs 2,57,980 crore due to recoveries
- Banks and financial institutions’ recovery of dues takes place on ongoing basis through legal mechanisms, which inter-alia includes Securitization and Reconstruction of Financial Assets and Enforcement of Security Interest (SARFAESI) Act, Recovery of Debts to Banks and Financial Institution (DRT) Act and Lok Adalats.
Source – Times of India
5. India, Sri Lanka begin naval exercise
- India and Sri Lanka today began their bilateral naval exercise off Lanka’s Trincomalee focusing on anti-piracy exercises, gun firings, cross-deck helicopter operations and anti-surface operations.
- the Indian and Sri Lankan Navies would undertake the 4th edition of Sri Lanka-India Exercise (SLINEX) off Trincomalee, Sri Lanka from October 27 to November 1,” the Indian Navy said in a statement here.
- SLINEX series of exercises were initiated in 2005 and since then three successful engagements have been conducted
Source- Economic Times
6. SBI Appoints Anshula Kant As Managing Director
- State Bank of India on Friday said the Government has appointed Anshula Kant as Managing Director of the Bank.
- The appointment is with effect from the date of Kant taking over charge of the post and till the date of her attaining the age of superannuation (September 30, 2020) or until further orders, whichever is earlier.
- Prior this appointment, Kant was the bank’s Deputy Managing Director. With this appointment SBI now has four MDs – PK Gupta, DK Khara and Arijit Basu.
-The Hindhu Business Line
7. Govt. grants ‘trust’ status to ‘Bharat Ke Veer’ initiative
- The government has granted the status of a trust to ‘Bharat Ke Veer’, a private initiative promoted by actor Akshay Kumar, which aids families of paramilitary personnel killed in action
- Contributions to Bharat Ke Veer have been exempted from Income Tax, Home Minister Rajnath Singh said
- “Ministry of Finance @FinMinIndia has now given approval to @BharatKeVeer Trust under 80(G) which in effect means that all contributions to the trust will be exempted under the income tax. I thank the ministry and FM Sh.
- The public can visit the ‘Bharat Ke Veer’ application and website, and contribute to support the families of jawans who die in the line of duty
Source- The Hindu
1. Current account deficit widens to 2% of GDP on higher oil import bill
- Current account deficit (CAD)- excess of country’s imports of goods and services over its exports- touched nearly two percent of the GDP as oil prices rose and electronics imports surged. This could be a blow to the Rupee which is already weakening.
- India’s current account in the balance of payments ended in a deficit of $ 13.5 billion or 2 per cent of GDP in the quarter ended December 2017, up from $ 8.0 billion or 1.4 per cent of GDP in the quarter: ended December 2016 and $ 7.2 billion (1.1 per cent of GDP) in the preceding quarter ended September 2016, according to the preliminary data released by the Reserve Bank of India
- The overall balance of payments, including the position in current account and capital account ended in a surplus of $9.4 billion on account of a $22 billion surplus in capital account.
2. ‘Sarala Puraskar’ for poet Satrughna Pandav
- Noted Odia poet Satrughna Pandav will be honoured with the prestigious ‘Sarala Puraskar’ for his poetry collection ‘Misra Dhrupad’.
- The ‘Sarala Puraskar‘ — instituted by eminent Odia industrialist late Dr Bansidhar Panda and late Ila Panda in 1979 and awarded by the Indian Metals Public Charitable Trust(IMPaCT) — will be presented to Pandav on October 26.
- Two other eminent personalities of Odisha will also be honoured for their contribution in the field of music and art
- Pandeet Umesh Chandra Kar will be awarded the ‘Ila Panda Sangeet Samman‘ and Binod Moharana will receive the ‘Ila Panda Chitrakala Samman‘.
–Source- Business Standard
3. Ankur Mittal wins double trap gold in ISSF World Championship
- Ankur Mittal claimed the men’s double trap gold medal in the ISSF World Championship for his career’s biggest triumph, as the Indian shooting team continued its dominance in the premier tournament
- Ankur also won the team bronze in the event along with compatriots Md. Asab and Shardul Vihaan, their tally of 409 points putting them behind China’s 410 and the gold winning team Italy’s tally of 411.
- India has also secured two Olympic quotas, making it the country’s best performance ever at the World Championship.
4. Ayushman Bharat call centre inaugurated
- Ayushman Bharat call centre was formally inaugurated on Friday in Bengaluru by CEO of Ayushman Bharat Dr. Indu Bhushan
- This national call centre is operational since August 25
- The executives are working in 7 different shifts and one more such call centre functioning in Hyderabad.In later stages these call centres el be functional in 30 states
- The biggest health financing scheme in the world with an insurance cover of Rs 5 lakh, which will cover 10 crore poor families or almost 50 crore persons, comes with a clear political pitch ahead of the 2019 general elections and especially with its launch date coinciding with Upadhyaya’s birth anniversary
5. Union Minister for HRD ShriPrakashJavadekar Inaugurates 4thWorld Summit on Accreditation(WOSA-2018)
- Union Minister for HRD ShriPrakashJavadekar Inaugurates 4th World Summit on Accreditation (WOSA-2018) at New Delhi today.
- He said that that it may be for two reasons first some institutions do not want to come under accreditation and second we have some restriction in our own accreditation mechanism therefore government wants to increase the strength of NBA and NAAC so that more number of institutions can be accredited
Source- press information bureau
6. Naomi Osaka claims US Open title after Serena Williams meltdown
- Naomi Osaka became the first Japanese player to win a Grand Slam singles title
- She beat Serena Williams 6-2, 6-4 in the US Open final
- Williams was given a game penalty during the second set after a row erupted with umpire Carlos Ramos
Source – Times of India
1. Sshri Rajnath Singh inaugurates the 6th International Geriatric Orthopaedic Conference
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh on Friday stressed upon the need of preserving the joint family culture, which he said was necessary to meet the emotional needs of the elderly.
- he inaugurated the 6th International Geriatric Orthopaedic Society of India Conference here at the AIIMS, Singh said the disintegration of the joint family culture has contributed to the rise in health issues in old people, adding that the Ayushman Bharat Health Protection Scheme announced by the Prime Minister Narendra Modi was beneficial for the elderly along with the poor and people from the rural belt.
- He increase the health facilities for elderly people as the population is increased 30 Crore by 2050
- Home Minister – Rajnath Singh
- Ayushman Bharat Health Protection Scheme announced by prime minister
2. Particulate emission pollution from commuting in Delhi highest among 14 major cities: CSE
- Pollution by particulate emission from commuting in Delhi is highest among 14 major cities in the country, according to a new study by the Centre for Science and Environment.
- Noting that the particulate emission in Delhi is three times that of Mumbai, the CSE said that this has eclipsed the benefits of CNG and other better travel parameters in the national capital. (IE
- Bhopal ranked 11 times better than Delhi
- The second rank was acquired by Chandigarh, followed by Vijayawada.
Source – The Indian express
3. Axis Bank appoints Amitabh Chaudhry as MD and CEO, to take charge from Jan 1
- Amitabh Chaudhry has been appointed its managing director and CEO from January 1, 2019 for a period of three years.
- Chaudhry, the MD and CEO of HDFC Standard Life Insurance Company at present, will take charge at India’s third largest private sector bank after incumbent Shikha Sharma steps down on December 31, 2018.
- Chaudhry, 54, has been associated with HDFC Life since January 2010.
- Axis Bank Headquarters in Mumbai.
- Shikha Sharma is the present CEO and Managing director of Axis Bank.
Source- Times of India
4. President Kovind arrives in Czech Republic on final leg of his three-nation tour
- President Ram Nath Kovind arrived in the Prague, Czech Republic on Thursday on the final leg of his three-nation European tour during which he will hold talks with his counterpart Milos Zeman, Prime Minister Andrej Babis and President of the Chamber of Deputies
- He is the fifth Indian President to visit the central European country, and the first since President Shankar Dayal Sharma in 1996.
- Main emphasis on the following sector
- Chemical and petochemical
- Engineering especially in auto parts, spares, texile machinery, machine tools
- Infrastruture development industries like tunnels, water project
- Electonic industries
- Science technology
Source -The New Indian Express
5. International Literacy Day:sep8
- International Literacy Day is celebrated annually on September 8 across the world. The day was declared by UNESCO on October 26, 1966.
- According to UNESCO’s statistics, India’s literacy rate is 72.1 per cent. The literacy among men is 80.9 percent, while for women it’s 62.8
- since India is a country with more than 280 million illiterate adults and adult education continues to be important for India
- The government and non-profit organizations are working to bridge this gap and reach 100 per cent literacy by 2022.
- Every year, there are different themes for International Literacy Day – from “Education for all,” “Literacy and health” to “literacy and epidemic”, the themes keep changing every year. This year International Literacy Day theme is “literacy and skill development.” Despite progress, literacy challenges persist in the world. According to statistics by UNSECO, 750 million people still cannot read or write.
Source – NDTV
6. Hriday Hazarika shoots gold in 10m air rifle junior ISSF World Championship
- Hriday Hazarika claimed gold after prevailing in a shoot-off against Iran’s Mohammed Amir Nekounam
- India’s young shooters continued to shine on the seventh day of the ISSF World Championship in Changwon
- Hriday Hazarika notched up a gold medal in the 10m air rifle junior men’s event of the shooting championship
- the 17-year-old Indian claimed the top honours after prevailing in a shoot-off at the prestigious International Shooting Sport Federation (ISSF) tournament
- The women’s 10m air rifle team of Elavenil Valarivan (631), Shreya Agarwal (628.5) and Manini Kaushik (621.2) then produced a sensational performance to total 1880.7 for a gold with a world record score
- The score by Elavenil, a junior world cup gold-medallist, was also a new junior world record.
Source- India Today
7. Former RBI governor Bimal Jalan to head search cum selection panel for CEA appointment
- Economic affairs secretary Subhash C Garg and BP Sharma, secretary, department of personnel training are the other members in the selection panel
- Former Reserve Bank of India (RBI) governor Bimal Jalan will head the search cum selection panel for India’s next chief economic advisor (CEA)
Source- CNBC TV18
8. Sergio Ramos believes Luka Modric deserves to win FIFA’s The Best award ahead of Cristiano Ronaldo
- Cristiano Ronaldo, Luka Modric and Mohammed Salah have been shortlisted for the FIFA ‘The Best Men’s Player of the Year 2018’ award
- FIFA had announced it’s three-man shortlist for the ‘The Best Men’s Player of the Year 2018’ award, with Juventus and Portugal superstar Cristiano Ronaldo leading the race for the prize along with his former Real Madrid teammate Luka Modric, and Liverpool’s Mohammed Salah
Source – Republic
1. Home Minister inaugurates Defence & Homeland Security Expo and Conference
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh has called upon the law enforcement agencies to adopt new technologies enhancing their capacities to contain terror and counter the emerging challenges to homeland security.
- India has been facing security and terrorism-related challenges for years and there are multiple vulnerable areas that are prone to various risks.
- Home Minister also announced technological upgradation and modernization to monitor and check activities related to terrorism especially in Jammu and Kashmir, Gujarat and Assam
- Mr Singh said, that cyber crime is the biggest challenge in today’s world and to counter it, there is a need to adopt the latest technologies.
-All India radio
2. Bhagwati Kumar Sharma, noted Gujarati author passes away
- Bhagwati Kumar Sharma received Sahitya Academy award in 1988 for his novel ‘Assoryalok’
- Bhagwati Kumar Sharma, noted Gujarati language author and poet passed away at his residence in Adajan area of Surat at the age of 84 years.
- Born in the Diamond City on May 31, 1934
- Some of his novels include ‘Aarti ane Angara’ published in 1957, ‘Man Nahi Mane’ in 1962, ‘Rikta’ in 1968, ‘Vyaktamadhya’ in 1970, ‘Samaydvip’ in 1974, ‘Urdhvamool’ in 1981, ‘Asooryalok’ in 1987, Dwar Nahi Khule, Premyatra, Viti Jashe Aa Rat?, Padchhaya Sang Preet in 1963 and many more.
-The Times of India
3. BSNL ropes in Indian boxer Mary Kom as brand ambassador for two years
- BSNL has roped in Indian boxer M.C.Mary Kom as its brand ambassador for two years.
- Telecom Secretary Aruna Sundararajanthat Kom’s association will help BSNL in enhancing BSNL brand image as well as gain more customer in this competitive market scenario.
- BSNL is contributing significantly in nation building by way of extending its robust telecom infrastructure in rural and remote areas as well,”
- Anupam Srivastava, CMD, BSNL said that M.C.Mary Kom with many achievements at international level, is a popular figure among youth.
- Director Anupam Shrivastava is the present Chairman and Managing Director of BSNL
4. India, US ink Comcasa deal at 2+2 dialogue
- Sitharaman said the COMCASA will enhance India’s defence preparedness.
- The Communications Compatibility and Security Agreement (Comcasa), which will give India access to advanced new defence systems like armed drones and will enable the armed forces to exploit existing US-origin platforms much more efficiently, was inked after concerns on security raised by New Delhi
- The pact will pave the way for fitting special communications systems on Indian platforms like the C130J and the Naval P8I aircraft that will enable them to interact with the US military.
- An assurance has been given that the US would not share any such information with a third nation.
- The pact, which will be valid for 10 years, however does not commit India to any acquisition from the US. “This is an enabling agreement and does not commit us to any acquisition
- External Affairs Minister Sushma Swaraj
- Defence Minister Nirmala Sitharaman
- US Secretary of State Michael R Pompeo
- Defence Secretary James Mattis.
5. Govt makes Pradhan Mantri Jan Dhan Yojana open-ended scheme
- The government on Wednesday decided to make the Pradhan Mantri Jan Dhan Yojana (PMJDY) an open-ended scheme and added more incentives to encourage people to open bank accounts.
- The scheme was launched in August 2014 for a period of four years.
- There are approximately 32.41 crore Jan Dhan accounts having a total deposit balance of Rs 81,200 crore.
- Jandhan-Aadhaar-Mobile (JAM) will continue to provide the necessary backbone for coverage of these activities and thereby accelerating the pace of digitised financially included and insured society
6 . Dr Poonam Singh unanimously nominated for 2nd term as Regional Director WHO South-East Asia
- LogoIndia on Wednesday retained the top WHO position in South-East Asia Region with Dr Poonam Khetrapal Singh unanimously re-elected as Regional Director for another five-year term beginning February 2019.
- India is grateful for the unanimous support received from the Member States of the Region, evidenced by the un-contested election
- Dr Singh is the first woman to have been elected to the position of Regional Director for WHO South-East Asia Region after an illustrious career in the Indian civil service, World Bank and WHO.
- The World Health Organization is a specialized agency of the United Nations that is concerned with international public health.
- WHO was established on 7th April 1948.
- headquartered of WHO is in Geneva, Switzerland.
- Tedros Adhanom is Director general of the World Health Organisation.
-All India Radio
7. India & Bulgaria sign 4 MoUs;President Kovind invites Bulgaria to become key partner of India
- President Kovind and President Radev witnessed signing of four MoUs between India and Bulgaria on Investment, Tourism, Civil Nuclear Cooperation and Establishment of Hindi Chair at Sofia University. A Programme of Cooperation is also signed to enhance scientific cooperation.
- A programme of cooperation was also signed to enhance scientific cooperation, he said Kovind also invited Bulgaria to become a key partner of India in defence sector, IT sector under ‘Make In India’ programme.
- Bulgaria is a North Atlantic Treaty Organisation (NATO) member country with a large indigenous defence industry. It is ranked as a “medium” small arms exporter according to the Small Arms Survey
- Bulgaria Capital: Sofia,
- Currency: Bulgarian lev.
1. Shri J P Nadda addresses the‘71st Session of the WHO Regional Committee for South-East Asia’
- Union Minister of Health and Family Welfare Shri J P Nadda inaugurated the ‘71st Session of the WHO Regional Committee for South-East Asia,’ in New Delhi.
- Countries in WHO’s South-East Asia Region(SEAR), including India, committed to make essential medicines, vaccines, diagnostics and medical devices “affordable and accessible to all” within the region and beyond.
- Ayushman Bharat scheme – the largest government-funded health scheme in the world. TDS TDS ABH ABH
- “The Member countries agreed to ensure universal accessibility and affordability of essential medical products by 2030, as part of achieving universal health coverage (UHC) and the health related goals of SDG 2030 agenda,
- WHO Headquarters- Geneva, Switzerland
- Founded- 1948
- Head: Tedros Adhanom.
-Times of india
2. Dr. Jitendra Singh inaugurates 10KW AIR transmitter at Patnitop
- Union Minister of State in PMO, Dr. Jitendra Singh today inaugurated 10 KW FM Transmitter of All India Radio (AIR) here at Patnitop.
- Dr Singh said that with the commissioning of the relay FM transmitter at Patnitop the people living on high reaches and remote areas like Ramban, Doda, Udhampur, Anantnag and parts of Jammu would be able to listen to the radio for information and entertainment more clearly.
- The 10KW transmitter will help cover an aerial distance of 60 km in nearby districts of Doda, Ramban,Kishtwar, Udhampur and parts of Jammu and even across the border.
- Headquarters-Sansad Marg,New Delhi
- Launch date- 8 June 1936
- Owner- Prasar Bharati
3. Madhya Pradesh Mil -Banche programme to be organised in govt schools of state
- The volunteers of Mil-Banche Madhya Pradesh programme are invited to share videos describing their experiences, interaction with the children in school or co-educational activities, any interesting and inspirational memoirs during this programme.
- This is the third time that the ‘Mil–Banche Madhya Pradesh’ programme is being organised in the state.
- Mil Banche MP is a government initiated programme which will be held on August 31, 2018, with an aim to create education and learning awareness among the children studying in government schools of all the district of Madhya Pradesh.
- Chief Minister- Shivraj Singh Chouhan
- Governor- Anandiben Patel
- Capital- Bhopal
4. SBI opens e-facilitation facility for army veterans in Bengal
- State Bank of India (SBI)’s e-facilitation and e-corner facility for Indian army veterans at the Army Complex near Fort William Kolkata
- it is a unique facility for fast-tracking pension issues by “on the spot” resolution of pension-related grievance of veterans/ veer naris/ next of kin
- The facility also caters cash drawal and automated passbook updation.
- Headquarters: Mumbai.
- Chairman: Rajnish Kumar.
- CEO: Arijit Basu
- Founded : 2 June 1806, Bank of Calcutta
-The New Indian Express
5. ITI ltd signs agreements with 58 startup companies
- Public sector telecom manufacturer ITI Limited has signed agreements with 58 startups that are developing manufacturing solutions related to information and communication technology (ICT), Internet of Things (IoT) and defence technology, to give fillip to entrepreneurship.
- These agreements were signed during the first ICT-IoT Expo on the sprawling premises of ITI in Bengaluru. Among the 400 startups, 58 have been shortlisted.
- The companies would manufacture products dealing with civil and military advanced radar systems, advanced edge router systems, next generation 5G technology products, data storage and networking solutions, digital security solutions, among others.
- India has the second largest ecosystem for startups in the world.
- Telecom commission chairperson and secretary in department of telecom, Aruna Sundararajan said the ITI would manufacture some of the innovative products that have emerged from this event.
- Telecom union minister- Shri Manoj Sinha
6. Internet Society inks pact with ISPAI to secure Internet infrastructure
- The Internet Society (ISOC) said it has partnered with Internet Service Providers Association of India (ISPAI) to undertake activities to promote security of network infrastructure in India to make the web safe for businesses and consumers alike.
- The agreement signed will see the two partners undertake initiatives and activities in India to promote ‘Mutually Agreed Norms for Routing Security (MANRS)’ — a programme whose objective is to improve the resilience and security of the routing infrastructure.
- “Cyber security is one of the top concerns for Internet users in the Asia Pacific region and unsecure routing is one of the most common reasons for malicious threats.
- ISOC Regional Bureau Director (Asia Pacific) Rajnesh Singh
- ISOC has already conducted a network security workshop during the inaugural India Network Operators Group meeting (INNOG).
- Headquarters: Virginia, USA.
- Members: 100,000.
- Founded: 11 Dec 1992.
Headquarters: New Delhi
-Times of India
7. Alastair Cook Announces Retirement From International Cricket
- Alastair Cook made his Test debut against India at Nagpur in 2006.
- Alastair Cook will play his final Test at Kennington Oval.
- Cook is England’s all-time leading Test run-scorer with 12,254 runs at an average of 44.88 including 32 hundreds.
8. Former Indian footballer Arthur Pereira dead
- Arthur Pereira also represented Maharashtra in the national championships for the Santosh Trophy from 1971 to 1976.
- Former Maharashtra football player Arthur Pereira died here Monday. Pereira, 70, was fighting a battle against cancer for the past one year.
- Pereira toured Russia as a striker with the Indian team in 1971.
- Pereira played for several clubs in the city, including the well-known Orkay Mills.
–The New Indian express
List of our current Governors:
A STATE-WISE LIST OF THE CURRENT GOVERNORS OF INDIA
1. ESL Narasimhan – Andhra Pradesh
2. BD MISHRA – ARUNACHAL PRADESH
3. JAGDISH MUKHI – ASSAM
4. LALJI TANDON – BIHAR
5. ANANDIBEN PATEL – CHHATTISGARH
6. MRIDULA SINHA – GOA
7. OP KOHLI – GUJARAT
8. SATYADEV NARAYAN ARYA – HARYANA
9. ACHARYA DEVVRAT – HIMACHAL PRADESH
10. SATYA PAL MALIK – JAMMU AND KASHMIR
11. DRAUPADI MURMU – JHARKHAND
12. VAJUBHAI VALA – KARNATAKA
13. P SATHASIVAM – KERALA
14. ANANDIBEN PATEL – MADHYA PRADESH
15. C VIDYASAGAR RAO – MAHARASHTRA
16. NAJMA HEPTULLA – MANIPUR
17. TATHAGATA ROY – MEGHALAYA
18. KUMMANAM RAJASEKHARAN – MIZORAM
19. PB ACHARYA – NAGALAND
20. GANESHI LAL – ODISHA
21. VP SINGH BADNORE – PUNJAB
22. KALYAN SINGH – RAJASTHAN
23. GANGA PRASAD – SIKKIM
24. BANWARILAL PUROHIT – TAMIL NADU
25. ESL NARASIMHAN – TELANGANA
26. KAPTAN SINGH SOLANKI – TRIPURA
27. RAM NAIK – UTTAR PRADESH
28. BABY RANI MAURYA – UTTARAKHAND
29. KESHARI NATH TRIPATHI – WEST BENGAL
1. India to take part in tsunami mock drill on September 4,5
- India along with 23 other nations, would be participating in a major Indian ocean-wide tsunami mock exercise (drill) on September four and five, which would involve evacuation of thousands of people from coastal areas in over half a dozen states.
- The exercise, known as IOWave18, is being organised by the Intergovernmental Oceanographic Commission (IOC) of UNESCO
- It coordinated the setting up of the Indian Ocean Tsunami Warning and Mitigation System (IOTWMS) in the aftermath of December 26, 2004 tsunami
- The Indian Tsunami Early Warning Centre (ITEWC),
- Indian National Centre for Ocean Information Services (INCOIS), Hyderabad, is an autonomous institution under the Union Ministry of Earth Sciences.
- The IOWave18 exercise will simulate Indian Ocean countries being put in a tsunami warning situation and require the National Tsunami Warning Centre (NTWC), i.e., INCOIS in case of India, and the National and Local Disaster Management Offices (NDMO/LDMO) to implement their Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs),”
-TIMES OF INDIA
2. Month of September to be celebrated as National Nutrition Month
- Minister for Women and Child Development; Dr. Rajiv Kumar, Vice-Chairman NITI Aayog; Rakesh Srivastava, Secretary WCD; Dr. Vinod K Paul, Member , NITI Aayog and officers of partner ministries as well as other organizations including UN.
- Government of India organized an orientation workshop for various stakeholders participating in the Poshan Maah (National Nutrition Month) being celebrated in the month of September
- The People’s Movement intends to reach 11 crore beneficiaries during the Nutrition Month itself.
- Prime Minister on 8th March, 2018 from Jhunjhunu, Rajasthan. The programme through use of technology, a targeted approach and convergence strives to reduce the level of Stunting, Under-nutrition, Anemia and Low Birth Weight in Children, as also, focus on Adolescent Girls, Pregnant Women and Lactating Mothers, thus holistically addressing malnutrition.
3. Shooters Anjum, Apurvi secure Olympics quotas
- Anjum Moudgil and Apurvi Chandela became the first set of Indian shooters to secure quota places for the 2020 Olympics.
- Anjum won the silver medal, while Apurvi finished fourth in the women’s 10m air rifle event in the ISSF World Championship
- Anjum shot a total of 248.4 in the eight-woman final to open the Indian senior squad’s medal count in the prestigious tournament.
- The International Shooting Sport Federation’s (ISSF) premier tournament assumes added significance as it is the first Olympic quota event for the Tokyo Games, offering as many as 60 berths across 15 events.
4. Banks with over 10 branches to have internal ombudsman: RBI
- The Reserve Bank of India today asked all scheduled commercial banks with more than 10 branches to appoint an internal ombudsman
- The Internal Ombudsman shall examine customer complaints which are in the nature of deficiency in service on the part of the bank,that are partly or wholly rejected by the bank.
- The implementation of IO Scheme, 2018 will be monitored by the bank’s internal audit mechanism apart from regulatory oversight by the RBI.
- In May 2015, the RBI had advised all public sector and select private and foreign banks to appoint IO as an independent authority to review complaints that were partially or wholly rejected by the respective banks.
–TIMES OF INDIA
5. President Ram Nath Kovind’s visit to Cyprus
- India and Cyprus on September 3, 2018 signed key agreements in various areas to cement bilateral ties between both the countries following delegation level talks between President Ram Nath Kovind and Cyprus President Nicos Anastasiades
- One of MoUs was signed between Financial Intelligence Unit of India and Unit for Combating Money Laundering of Cyprus on combating money laundering
- Another MoU was signed for cooperation in the field of environment.
- India and Cyprus agreed to expand cooperation in the fields of IT, tourism, shipping and renewable energy
- Cyprus reaffirms its support to India for NSG membership and for its permanent membership of UNSC
- The agreements were signed during President Kovind’s three-nation visit to Europe to continue India’s high-level engagements with European countries. Apart from Cyprus, Kovind will visit Bulgaria and the Czech Republic. This is his first overseas state visit in the second year of his presidency
- Indian President VV Giri was the first to visit Cyprus in July 1972.
- The latest visit of a high-ranking official from India was that of President Pratibha Patil who paid a state visit to Cyprus in October 2009
- Meanwhile, most recently, PM Narendra Modi met with President Nicos Anastasiades on the sidelines of the UNGA in New York on September 25, 2015.
- Cyprus Capital: Nicosia, Currency: Euro.
6. Asian Games 2018: Japanese swimmer Rikako Ikee becomes first female MVP
- Japan’s Rikako Ikee celebrates with her medal after winning the Women’s 50m Freestyle swimming event at the Asian Games
- Rikako Ikee became the first female athlete to be named the Most Valuable Player (MVP) at an Asian Games on Sunday after the teenager scooped an unprecedented six gold medals in the Jakarta pool.
- North Korean shooter So Gin-man, who won seven golds and a silver at New Delhi in 1982, has won more titles at one Asian Games but the 18-year-old Ikee also picked up two relay silvers to match his record tally of eight medals.
1. Number of Income Tax Returns reached 5.42 cr, grew by 71 per cent
- The total number of ITRs e-filed up to August, 2018, was 5.42 crore as against 3.17 crore up to August 31, 2017
- As many as 1.17 crore ITRs were e-filed by persons availing the benefit of Presumptive Tax, compared to 14.93 lakh returns filed up to August, 2017
- The number of income tax return (ITR) filings surged 71 per cent to 5.42 crore till August 31 — the last date for submission for financial year 2017-18.
- Finance minister Arun Jaitley had in Budget 2018-19 flagged the tax mop-up from entities under the Presumptive Taxation Scheme
-Times of India
2. India, Nepal sign Raxaul-Kathmandu railway line survey agreement
- Our deliberations were wide-ranging, covering multiple aspects of India-Nepal relations,” Prime Minister Modi said after the meeting on the sidelines of the 4th BIMSTEC Summit in Nepal
- Ministry of External Affairs spokesperson Raveesh Kumar said that the two leaders held a detailed review on all aspects of the bilateral relationship
- This was the third meeting between PM Modi and his Nepalese counterpart KP Sharma Oli this year.
- Khadga Prasad Sharma Oli is the current Prime Minister of Nepal.
- Bidhya Devi Bhandari is the current President of Nepal and commander in chief of Nepalese Army.
- The Nepalese Rupee is the currency of Nepal.
-Times of India
3. International tourism arrivals hit record high in 2017, India leads growth in South Asia
- Tourism Highlights shows international arrivals reached 1.323 million last year. The figure represents an 84 million increase over 2016, and a new record, with the sector also recording “uninterrupted growth” in arrivals for eight consecutive years.
- The UN World Tourism Organisation (UNWTO)
- the world’s third largest export category, earning USD 1.3 trillion in receipts in 2017: an increase of five per cent.
- India, international tourists arrivals grew from 14.57 million in 2016 to 15.54 million in 2017. International tourism receipts for India grew from 22.42 billion dollars in 2016 to 27.36 billion dollars last year.
- Seven of the 10 top tourism destinations are also leaders worldwide in both international tourist arrivals and international tourism receipts: China, France, Germany, Italy, Spain, the United Kingdom and the United States.
- Zurab Pololikashvili is Secretary-General of the World Tourism Organization (UNWTO).
- UNWTO’s membership includes 158 countries, 6 Associate Members and over 500 Affiliate Members.
- UNWTO Headquarters in Madrid, Spain.
4. Asian Games 2018: Haryana biggest contributor to medal tally
- India ended their Asian Games 2018 campaign with the highest medal tally at the tournament ever, with a total of 69 medals which includes 15 gold, 24 silver, and 30 bronze medals.
- India is not participating in Triathlon.
- The brilliant performances by the athletes helped the nation surpass its previous highest medal tally of 65, set in Guangzhou in 2010.
- Indian contingent to win a medal at the Games as he and his 56-year old partner finished the men’s pair event with a score of 384.
- The Host cities for Asian Games 2018 are Jakarta and Palembang, Indonesia.
- Bhin Bhin, Kaka, and Atung are the mascots of the 2018 Asian Games.
5. 6th East Asia Summit And 15th India-ASEAN Economic Ministers Meeting Held in Singapore
- Commerce & Industry Minister Suresh Prabhu attended the 6th East Asia Summit- Economic Ministers’ Meeting (EAS-EMM) and 15th India-ASEAN Economic Ministers’ Meeting (AEM) in Singapore today. Singapore is currently holding the Chair of ASEAN.
- The 6th East-Asia Economic Ministers’ Meeting was chaired by Chan Chun Sing, Minister for Trade and Industry, Singapore, and was attended by Economic Ministers from 10 ASEAN countriesand their eight dialogue partners, Australia, China, India, Japan, Republic of Korea, New Zealand, the Russian Federation and the United States of America
- ASEAN has emerged as the second largest trade partner of India in 2017-18 with bilateral trade valued at USD 81.33 billion, comprising 10.58% of India’s total trade with the world.
-Press information bureau
6. Bi-Annual Talks Between Indian and Bangladeshi Border Forces Begin in New Delhi
- Director General of Border Security Force (BSF) KK Sharma is representing the Indian side while Director General of Border Guard Bangladesh (BGB) Major General Md Shafeenul Islam is leading Bangladesh in the six days talks.
- The meeting is aimed at increasing bilateral cooperation in checking trans-border crimes such as smuggling of drugs and narcotics, cattle lifting and gun running across the international
- This is the 47th DG-level conference between the two sides since it began in 1975.
- A joint record of discussion will also be signed between the BSF( Border Security Force (BSF) BGBBorder Guard Bangladesh (BGB)
- the DG level talks were held in April this year in Dhaka
- Bangladesh PM- Sheikh Hasina, Capital- Dhaka, Currency- Bangladeshi Taka.